Papers in Review (in refereed journals/books)
71) S. Lund, Dynamo-wave model of the Laschamp excursion, Geophys. Res. Lett., (in review).
70) S. Lund and J. Lee, Holocene paleointensity variability in East Asia: evidence for global millennial-scale cyclicity of the Earth’s magnetic field, Phys. Earth Planet. Int., (in review).
Published Papers (in refereed journals/books)
69) M. Kirby, Lund, S.P., Poulsen, C.J., Millennial-Scale Late-Glacial/Holocene Hydrologic Variability and the Possible Onset of Modern El NiÒo-Southern Oscillation: Lake Elsinore, Southern California (USA), Journal of Quaternary Science (in press).
68) F. Yuan, R. Lindsley, L. Benson, S. Lund, J. McGeehin, and S. Lowe, Late Holocene lake level reconstruction based on a sediment record at decadal resolution from Walker Lake, Nevada, Quat. Res. (in press).
67) S. P. Lund, M. Schwartz, L. Keigwin, and T. Johnson, High-resolution records of the Laschamp geomagnetic field excursion, J. Geophys. Res., (in press).
66) L. Stott, R. Thunell, g. Haug, A. Koutavas, K. Cannariatto, and S. Lund, ITCZ variability and global climate variability in the Earth’s recent past, Nature, v. 431, 56-59 (doi:10.1038/nature02903), 2004.
65) S. Mensing, L. Benson, M. Kashgarian, and S. Lund, A Holocene record of persistent droughts from Pyramid Lake, Nevada, Quat. Res., v. 62, 29-38, 2004.
64) F. Yuan, B. Linsley,, L. Benson, S. Lund, and J. McGeehin, A 1200 year record of hydrologic variability in the Sierra Nevada from sediments in Walker Lake, Nevada, Geochem. Geophys. Geosys., v. 5 #3, doi:10.1029/2003GC000652, 2004.
63) M. Kirby, C. Poulsen, S. Lund, W. Patterson, L. Reidy, and D. Hammond, Arid environment lake-atmosphere interactions over the late Holocene: evidence from magnetic and stable isotope stratigraphy (Lake Elsinore, Southern California), J. of Paleolimnology, v. 31, 275-293, 2004.
62) L. Benson, B. Linsley, J. Smoot, S. Mensing, S. Lund, S. Stine, and A. Sarna-Wojcicki, Influence of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) on the climate of the Sierra Nevada and Nevada, Quat. Res., v.59, 151-159, 2003.
61) L. Benson, S. Lund, R. Negrini, B. Lindsley, and M. Zic, Response of North American Great Basin Lakes to Dansgaard-Oeschger Events, Quat. Sci. Rev., v. 22, 2239-2251, 2003.
60) L. Benson, J. Liddicoat, J. Smoot, A. Sarna-Wojcicki, R. Negrini, and S. Lund, Age of the Mono Lake excursion and associated tephra, Quat. Sci. Rev., v. 22, 135-140, 2003.
59) A. Mix, R. Tiedemann, P. Blum, and the ODP Leg 202 Scientific Party, Initial Results from ODP Leg 202, Ocean Drilling Program, College Station, TX, 202, 2003.
58) S. P. Lund, J. Stoner, A. Mix, R. Tiedemann, P. Blum, and the Leg 202 Shipboard Party, Observations on the Effect of a Nonmagnetic Core Barrel on Shipboard Paleomagnetic Data: Results from ODP Leg 202, in Initial Results from ODP Leg 202, Ocean Drilling Program, College Station, TX, 202, 2003.
57) L. Stott, C. Poulsen, S. P. Lund, and Robert Thunell, Super ENSO and Global Climate Change Oscillations at Millennial Time Scales, Science, v. 297, p. 222-226, 2002.
56) G. Acton, Makoto Okada, Brad Clement, Steve P. Lund, and Trevor Williams, Drilling induced paleomagnetic overprints in ocean sediment cores and their relationship to shear deformation caused by piston coring, J. Geophys. Res., v.107, 10.1029, 2002.
55) S. P. Lund, J. Hartman, and S. K. Banerjee, Magnetostratigraphy of interfingering upper Cretaceous/Paleocene marine and continental strata of the Williston Basin, North Dakota and Montana, in Hartman, J., Johnson, K., and Nichols, D., eds., The Hell Creek Formation and the Creetaceous-Tertiary Boundary in the northern Great Plains: an integrated continental record of the end of the Cretaceous: Boulder Colorado, Geol. Soc. America Special Paper 361, p. 57-74, 2002.
54) L. Benson, M. Kashgarian, R. Rye, S. Lund, F. Paillet, J. smoot, C. Kester, S. Mensing, D. Meko, S. Lunstrom, Holocene multidecadal and multicentennial droughts affecting Northern California and Nevada, Quaternary Science Reviews, p. 659-682, 2002.
53) Zhong Yang, B. Clement, Gary Acton, Steve P. Lund, Makoto Okada, and Trevor Williams, Records of the Cobb Mountain Subchron from the Bermuda Rise (ODP Leg 172), Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., v. 193, p. 303-313, 2001.
52) S. P. Lund, T. Williams, G. Acton, B. Clement, and M. Okada, Brunhes Epoch magnetic field excursions recorded in ODP Leg 172 sediments, L. Keigwin, D. Rio, and G. Acton Eds., Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Project, Scientific Results Volume 172, 2001 (http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications/172_SR/chap_10/chap_10.htm).
51) S. P. Lund, G. Acton, B. Clement, M. Okada, and T. Williams, Paleomagnetic records of Stage 3 excursions from ODP Leg 172, L. Keigwin, D. Rio, and G. Acton Eds., Proceedings of the Ocean Drilling Project, Scientific Results Volume 172, 2001 (http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications/172_SR/chap_11/chap_11.htm).
50) K. Benn, S. Paterson, S. Lund, G. Pignotta, and S. Kruse, Magmatic fabrics in batholiths as markers of regional strains and plate kinematics: example of the Cretaceous Mt. Stuart batholith. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth, 26: 343-354, 2001.
49) Shangde Luo, Lei Wang, Teh-Lung Ku, John Southon, Steve P. Lund, and Martha Schwartz, 26Al, 10Be, and U-Th isotopes in Blake Outer Ridge sediments: anomalous boundary scavanging and paleoceanographic implications, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., v.185, 135-147, 2001.
48) C. Constable, C. L .Johnson, and S. P. Lund, Global geomagnetic field models for 0-3 ka: transient or permanent flux lobes, Phil. Trans. Royal Society, A, v. 358, p. 991-1008, 2000.
47) H.-C. Li, J. L. Bischoff, T.-L. Ku, S. P. Lund, and L. D. Stott, Climatic variability in eastern central California during the last 1000 years: geochemical and isotopic records of Owens Lake sediments, Quaternary Research, Vol. 54, No. 2, pp. 189-197, 2000
46) J. P. Smoot, R. J. Litwin, J. L. Bischoff, and S. P. Lund, Sedimentary record of the 1872 earthquake and 'tsunami' at Owens, Lake, southeast California, Sedimentary Geology, v. 135, p. 241-254, 2000.
45) S. P. Lund, and M. Schwartz, Environmental factors affecting geomagnetic field paleointensity estimates from sediments, in Quaternary Climates, Environments, and Magnetism, R. Thompson and B. Maher, eds., Chapter 9, p.323-351, 1999.
44) M. Schwartz, S. P. Lund, and T. C. Johnson, Geomagnetic field intensity from 12,000-71,000 years BP as recorded in deep sea sediments of the Blake Outer Ridge, North Atlantic Ocean, J. Geophys. Res., 103, 30,407-30,416, 1998.
43) L. Benson, H. May, R. Antweller, T. Brinton, M. Kashgarian, J. Smoot, and S. Lund, A glacial history of the Sierra Nevada: 52,500 to 12,500 14C yr BP, Quaternary Res., 50, 113-127, 1998.
42) S. P. Lund, G. Acton, B. Clement, M. Okada, T. Williams, Initial paleomagnetic results from ODP Leg 172: high resolution geomagnetic field behavior for the last 1.2 Ma, EOS, Transactions, American Geophysical Union, 79, 178-179, 1998.
41) K. J. Whidden, S. P. Lund, D. Champion, D. J. Bottjer, and D. G. Howell, Paleomagnetic evidence that the central block of Salinia (California) is not a far-traveled terrane, Tectonics, v. 17, 329-343, 1998.
40) L. Keigwin, D. Rio, G. Acton, and the ODP Leg 172 Scientific Party, Initial Results from ODP Leg 172, Ocean Drilling Program, College Station, TX, 172, 1998.
39) L. Benson, S. P. Lund, J. Burdett, M. Kashgarian, T. Rose, J. Smoot, and M. Schwartz, Correlation of Late-Pleistocene lake-level oscillations in Mono Lake, California with North Atlantic climate events, Quaternary Research, 49, p 1-10, 1998.
38) M. Schwartz, S. P. Lund, D. E. Hammond, R. Schwartz, and K. Wong, Early sediment diagenesis on the Blake/Bahama Outer Ridge and its effects on sediment magnetism, J. Geophys. Res., v. 102, p.7903-7914, 1997.
37) L. Benson, J. Burdett, S. P. Lund, M. Kashgarian, and S. Mensing, Evidence for nearly synchronous northern hemispheric climate change during the last glaciation, Nature, 388, 263-265, 1997.
36) S. P. Lund, A comparison of Holocene paleomagnetic secular variation records from North America, J. Geophys. Res., v. 101, p. 8007-8024, 1996.
35) S. P. Lund, M. Newton, O. K. Davis, J. P. Bradbury, and D. E. Hammond, Late Quaternary stratigraphy of Owens Lake, California, U.S.G.S. Circular 1119, p. 47-52, 1996.
34) M. Schwartz, S. P. Lund, and T. Johnson, Environmental factors as complicating influences in the recovery of quantitative geomagnetic-field paleointensity estimates from sediments, Geophys. Res. Lett, 23, 2693-2696, 1996.
33) L. Benson, J. Burdett, M. Kashgarian, S. P. Lund, F. Phillips, and R. Rye, Climatic and hydrologic oscillations in the Owens Lake basin and adjacent Sierra Nevada, California, Science, v. 274, p. 746-749, 1996.
32) K. J. Whidden, Steve P. Lund, and D. J. Bottjer, Extension of the western Transverse Ranges zone of Cenozoic block rotations north of the santa Ynez fault, California, in Fritsche, A. E., ed., Cenozoic Paleogeography of the Western United States - II, Pacific Section, SEPM, p. 181-191, 1995.
31) K. J. Whidden, D. J. Bottjer, Steve P. Lund, and W. V. Sliter, Paleogeographic implications of Paleogene shallow-water limestones in the southern San Rafael Mountains, California, in Fritsche, A. E., ed., Cenozoic Paleogeography of the Western United States - II, Pacific Section, SEPM, p. 193-211, 1995.
30) S. P. Lund and L. Keigwin, Measurement of the degree of smoothing in sediment paleomagnetic secular variation records: an example from late Quaternary deep-sea sediments of the Bermuda Rise, western North Atlantic Ocean, Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., v. 122, p. 317-330, 1994.
29) P. J. Talling, D. W. Burbank, R. S. Hobbs, T. F. Lawton, and S. P. Lund, Magnetostratigraphic chronology and tectonic history of the Cretaceous-to-Eocene North Horn Formation on the Axhandle thrust-top basin, central Utah, J. of Geology, v.102, p. 181-196, 1994.
28) C. Christensen, D. S. Gorsline, D. E. Hammond, and S. P. Lund, Non-annual laminations and expansion of anoxic basin-floor conditions in Santa Monica basin, California Borderland, over the past four centuries, Marine Geology, v. 116, p. 399-418, 1994.
27) S. R. Paterson, R. Miller, J. L. Anderson, S. P. Lund, J. Bendixon, N. Taylor, and T. Fink, Emplacement and evolution of the Mt. Stuart Batholith, in D. A. Swanson and R. A. Haugerud, Eds., Guides to Field Trips, 1994 Geol. Soc. America Annual Meeting, Seattle, Chapter 2F, 48 p., 1994.
26) S. P. Lund, Paleomagnetic secular variation, in Trends in Geophysical Research, Council of Scientific Research Integration, Trivandrum, India, p.143-155, 1993.
25) Kennett, J. P., J. Baldouf, et al., Site 893 -Santa Barbara Basin, Proc. Ocean Drill. Project, Initial Reports, v. 146, College Station, TX, 1993.
24) S. P. Lund, D. L. Gorsline, and T. L. Henyey, Rock magnetic characteristics of surficial marine sediments from the California continental borderland, Earth Planet. Science Lett., v. 108, p. 93-107, 1992.
23) S. P. Lund and David J. Bottjer, Paleomagnetic evidence for microplate tectonic development of southern and Baja California, In, G. Ness and R. Couch, eds., The Gulf and Peninsular Province of the Californias, AAPG Memoir 47, p. 231-248, 1991.
22) S. P. Lund, David J. Bottjer, Katherine J. Whidden, James E. Powers, and M. C. Steele, Paleomagnetic evidence for Paleogene terrane displacements and accretion in southern California, in, P. L. Abbott and J. A. May, eds., Eocene Geologic History San Diego region, Pacific Section SEPM, v. 68, p. 99-106, 1991.
21) David J. Bottjer, Steve P. Lund, James E. Powers, M. C. Steele, and R. L Squires, Magnetostratigraphy of Paleogene strata in San Diego and the Simi Valley, southern California, in, P. L. Abbott and J. A. May, eds., Eocene Geologic History San Diego region, Pacific Section SEPM, v. 68, p. 115-124, 1991.
20) B. W. Leslie, S. P. Lund, and D. E. Hammond. Rock magnetic evidence for the dissolution and authigenic growth of magnetic minerals within anoxic marine sediments of the California continental borderland. Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 95, p. 4437-4452, 1990.
19) B. W. Leslie, D. E. Hammond, W. E. Berelson, and S. P. Lund, Diagenesis in anoxic sediments from the California Continental Borderland and its influence on iron, sulfur, and magnetite behavior. Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 95, p.4453-4470, 1990.
18) S. P. Lund and Robert Karlin, Introduction to the special section on the physical and biogeochemical processes responsible for the magnetization in sediments, Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 95, p. 4402-4404, 1990.
17) Y. Ben-Zion, T. L. Henyey, P. C. Leary, and S. P. Lund. Observations and implications of water well and creepmeter anomalies in the Mojave segment of the San Andreas fault zone, Seismological Society of America Bulletin, v.80, p.1661-1676, 1990.
(16) J. Bannon, D. Bottjer, S. P. Lund and L. R. Saul. Campanian/Maastichtian stage boundary in southern California: resolution and implications for large-scale depositional patterns. Geology, v. 17, p. 80-83, 1989.
15) D. Brandsma, S. P. Lund and T. L. Henyey. Paleomagnetism of late Quaternary marine sediments from Santa Catalina basin, California continental borderland. Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 94, p. 547-564, 1989.
14) S. P. Lund. Paleomagnetic Secular Variation. In Encyclopedia of Geophysics, American Geophysical Union, D. James (ed.), p. 876-888, 1989.
13) S. P. Lund, J. C. Liddicoat, K. L. Lajoie, T. L. Henyey and Steve W. Robinson. Paleomagnetic evidence for long-term (104 year) memory and periodic behavior in the Earth's core dynamo process. Geophysical Research Letters , V. 15, p. 1101-1104, 1988.
12) S. P. Lund and P. Olson. Paleomagnetic secular variation and its relationship to dynamo theories and the Earth's core. Reviews of Geophysics, V. 25, p. 917-928, 1987.
11) L. Kaplan, S. P. Lund and D. J. Bottjer. Paleolatitude drift history of displaced terranes in southern and Baja California. Nature, V. 321, p. 844-847, 1986.
10) S. P. Lund. A comparison of the Late Quaternary statistical secular variation that is recorded in lava-flows and both wet and dry sediments. Geophys. Res. Lett., V. 12, p. 251-254, 1985.
9) J. G. Fry, D. J. Bottjer and S. P. Lund. Magnetostratigraphy of displaced upper Cretaceous strata in southern California. Geology, V. 13, p. 648-651, 1985.
8) S. P. Lund and S. K. Banerjee. The paleomagnetic record of Late Quaternary secular variation from Anderson Pond, Tennessee. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett., V. 72, p. 219-237, 1985.
7) S. P. Lund and S. K. Banerjee. Late Quarternary paleomagnetic field secular variation from two Minnesota lakes, J. Geophys. Res., V. 90, p. 803-825, 1985.
6) J. W. King, S. K. Banerjee, W. Marvin and S. P. Lund. Use of small-amplitude paleomagnetic fluctuations for correlation and dating of continental climatic changes. Paleogeog., Paleoclim., Paleoecol., V. 42, p. 167-184, 1983.
5) S. P. Lund and S. K. Banerjee. A summary of the late Quaternary paleomagnetic field variation recorded in central North American wet lake sediments. In Geomagnetism of Baked Clays and Recent Sediments, K. M. Creer, P. Tucholka and C. E. Barton (eds.), Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 211-222, 1983.
4) S. P. Lund and T. L. Henyey. Use of SQUID magnetometers for field tectonomagnetic studies. In Squid Applications to Geophysics, H. Weinstock and W. C. Overton, Jr. (eds.), Soc. of Expl. Geophys., Tulsa, Oklahoma, p. 126-131, 1981.
3) S. K. Banerjee, S. P. Lund and Shaul Levi. Geomagnetic record in Minnesota lake sediments - Absence of the Gothenburg and Erieau excursions. Geology, V. 7, p. 588-591, 1979.
2) S. P. Lund and S. K. Banerjee. Paleosecular variations from lake sediments. Rev. of Geophys. and Space Phys., V. 17, p. 244-249, 1979.
1) S. K. Banerjee, S. P. Lund, N. Eyster-Smith, H. E. Wright, Jr. and A. Long. Correlation between paleoclimate and paleomagnetism for the last 9,500 years. In Collection of Extended Summaries of Contributions Presented at a Joint IAGA/IAMAP Assembly, Seattle, Washington, Joint Symposium C, 22 Aug.-3 Sept. 1977, F. S. Johnson (ed.). (NCAR, Boulder, Colorado, 1978.)